Monday, August 29, 2011

Etched Glass


Pin It!
I've always wanted my own personalized glass pieces, so I decided I would try to use some glass etching to see if it something I could myself. I wanted to start with something and small and not as expensive just in I messed it up. I had seen this idea on Pinterest (I am obsessed with it right now and if you're interested, you can follow me here), where they used an oil bottle as a dish soap bottle instead of that unattractive plastic bottle it comes in.

I picked mine up from Walmart, but you can also order one online here. It only costs a few bucks so I knew if came out wrong I wouldn't be that upset about it.

Materials needed:

The piece of glass you're wanting to etch
Glass etching cream
Foam Brush
Masking tape to close in the area you want to etch
Stickers, stencils (optional)

Step 1: I washed and dry the outside of the bottle so that it was clean (mine is full of soap, but I don't recommend this, as some of the soap will spill out while you are doing the etching. Mine is full because my wonderful hubby thought he'd fill the bottle while I was work forgetting I wanted to etch the glass. He was trying to help. Props to him for trying. lol!)


Step 2: I then used some alphabet stickers to spell out "Dish Soap" on the bottle and used masking tape to make a border around the letters.


Step 3: Using a foam brush I "painted" over the letters and are I wanted etched. I then let it sit for 5 minutes.


Step 4: After 5 minutes, I washed the cream off.


Unfortunately, I could barely see the etching. So I repeated steps 1-3 and had to very carefully place the stickers and masking tape in the same places I had them before. And instead of waiting 5 minutes after painting the etching cream on, I waited 20-30 minutes and washed the cream off again. It was much darker this time, more like I wanted.


In short, I recommend waiting a full 20-30 minutes BEFORE washing the cream off. It didn't come out the way I wanted it to but now that I know next time it will come out the way I want it to.

2 comments:

  1. debby_bourbeau@hotmail.comAugust 30, 2011 at 3:06 PM

    Love it. You make it sound so easy. I might give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say. Do you have tips, comments, suggestions or something totally else to say? I want to know. Your comments and opinions mean a lot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...