Saturday, September 3, 2011

Wooden Wall Letters


Pin It!
I love the wooden wall letters you see in a baby's room, but they can be so expensive especially to have them customized and match your room decor.I'm not really a painter but I knew there had to be something I could do to make my own letters for my daughter's room. Then it hit me....I could put some scrapbook paper on them.

It was off to Michael's to buy my needed materials:


Unfinished wooden letters
Scrapbook paper
Paint (optional)
Masking Tape (optional)
Mod Podge
Scissors
2 Paintbrushes (a foam brush for the Mod Podge and a regular paintbrush for painting)

Step 1: Cover the front of your letter with masking tape. This is totally optional but I did it so I wouldn't get paint on the front of my letter. I chose a dark paint and a light colored paper for the front so I didn't want the paint to show through the paper if I accidentally got any on the front.

Step 2: Paint the back and sides of your letters. Again, this is an optional step as well. You won't see the back and sides all that much once the letters are one the wall but I, personally, think they give the letters a more finished look.

Step 3: Trace your letters onto the back of your paper. Also make sure the front of your letter is touching the back of your paper.

Step 4: Once you have traced all your letters, then cut the letters out.

Step 5: Your next step is to apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to your wooden letters. (Note: It's hard to see the layer of Mod Podge, but I wanted to show you how thin I made it)

Step 6: Carefully place your cut out paper letter onto your wooden letter and let dry. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each letter.

Step 7: After the Mod Podge has dried, you want to seal your paper over the letters so they don't peel. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the paper and let dry. (Again, you may not be able to see my layer too well but hopefully you can and it will help)

Step 8: Once the Mod Podge dries, attach your ribbon to the back of your letters, or wall hangings to the back if you choose not to use ribbon. And then hang up your letters.



Don't have the time to make your own? Contact me here for information and pricing on letters for your home, whether it's for a nursery or just for home decor. We can customize the letters the way you want including colors, certain fonts, and size of letters as well as hanging options!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say. Do you have tips, comments, suggestions or something totally else to say? I want to know. Your comments and opinions mean a lot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...