Monday, February 13, 2012

Make It Monday: Tissue Pom Poms


Pin It!


Oh, Martha Stewart, how I idolize you! OK, not completely but I do idolize her craftiness and home decor, just not the criminal activity. lol.

Browsing the Marta Stewart website, I found these tissue pom-poms. They are super cute and she shed some light on how easy they are to make. I immediately thought this would be a great decoration for Jordyn's birthday party.

Tana (you know the fabulous friend from this post and this post) was recruited to help me make these pom poms. She was the one suggested making a post about them (feeling frazzled about the party, it completely slipped my mind, so yet another HUGE thanks goes out to her)

Materials Needed
Tissue Paper in whatever colors you choose (for me I chose pink and green and you will need at least 12 sheets for each pom pom. Martha Stewart suggests using 8, but since Tana had previously made these she said to definitely use more than 8)
Floral Wire
Fishing Line (this is used to hang the pom poms up)

1.   Line all of your sheets of tissue paper up so they are even.


2.   You then want to fold your tissue paper about 1 1/2" over and continue to fold in accordion style.




3.   Cut the ends in a round shape.



4.   Once your tissue paper is folded, you then want to fold it in half.


5.   At the fold is where you will wrap the floral wire, so that it keeps the tissue paper together. Twist the floral wire so that it doesn't come undone. I wrapped the floral round the center to secure the tissue paper more, but truthfully, you could probably just cut the wire.


6.   Insert your fishing line (you can see I used curling ribbon that matched my pom poms. You can use any string you may have but the fishing line is fairly invisible so it looks as if they are suspended.

7.  Then begin to separate your tissue paper pieces and fluff them out. Sometimes this is easier if you place your fingers in between the valleys of the folds to hold it still. No matter, be careful because the tissue paper does rip easily.




8.   Once you have one side, flip it over and do the other.


9.   When you are finished, flush the pom pom, trying to remove any gaps. You will probably have a gap on the tap but once it's hung, you wont see it, and on the bottom, just do your best to close that gap

10.   Hang up your pom poms!



**Note: I don't suggest making these too far in advance, because after sitting on a table for a period of time they could start to flatten and the tissue paper on the bottom will fold. The night before would work, but if you can manage to do it in the morning before your party, you could make them and hang up them up right away.

Have you tried making these? How about any other party decorations. Share them with me. You can upload your pics and links (if you have a site) via email, the Flickr group, or on my Facebook page and you could end up on Show Me Saturday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say. Do you have tips, comments, suggestions or something totally else to say? I want to know. Your comments and opinions mean a lot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...